Our History

Struan and Peter Royle were the founding partners of the Bega Veterinary Clinic (now Bega and Cobargo Veterinary Hospitals).

Bega Cobargo Veterinary Hospital in 1956In the early 1950’s, the brothers were directly employed by Dairy Farmers. As a result, the veterinary work at that time mostly involved dairy production. The vets administered their services from out of a shed behind the corner of Auckland and Gibbs Street. Cats were kept at the shed as micers, and could be bought for 2 and 6 by the public – so there was not much clinical work to be done on cats at that time!

In 1956 the clinic was located at Tarraganda Road. At this time, the Royle brothers started doing minor surgeries on dogs, and provided basic health care, including vaccinations. In about 1960 they started building the current clinic. The vets would see the odd horse case (trotters and some gallopers), but still dogs and cats were not too valued at this time (unless they were working dogs) so the vast majority of work was cattle work. Another vet was employed when there was a need for TB and brucella testing from the late 1960’s, and gradually over the years there was a change to an interest in companion animals.

The Bega and Cobargo Veterinary Hospitals now employs 11 veterinarians, has modern, well-equipped veterinary facilities, and cater to both production and companion animals. In 2009 the Bega Veterinary Hospital moved to a new, purpose-built site in North Bega – so the history of the clinic continues!